Summer’s warmth is lovely, but not when it’s turning your home into an oven. A major culprit? Your windows! They can significantly amplify solar heat gain, making interiors uncomfortably hot.
Sound familiar? In this guide, we’ll dive into how to effectively reduce heat gain through windows, ensuring your home remains a cool sanctuary all season long.
Understanding Solar Heat Gain and Its Impact on Homes
Solar heat gain, often termed “passive solar gain,” is when sunlight warms and passes through objects, notably windows, and leads to elevated room temperatures. As the sun’s infrared rays are stronger in the summer months, this means uncomfortably hot interiors, especially in rooms with a lot of windows such as conservatories.
Side effects of this heat build-up include:
- Glare on screens,
- Fading of furnishings,
- General discomfort,
- Other potential health issues.
Common Ways to Keep Your Home Cool and Reduce Heat Gain Through Windows
When the sun decides to grace us with its presence, our homes can quickly feel like they’re turning into saunas. So, how do we keep the heat out and that delightful coolness indoors?
Here are some tried and tested methods:
- Seal Those Gaps: Ever felt that sneaky draught even when everything’s closed? Time to drought-proof your home. Sealing gaps around doors and windows ensures that the cool air stays in and the hot air stays out.
- Draw Those Blinds, Curtains, or Shutters: It’s not just for privacy. By simply closing your blinds or curtains during the hottest parts of the day, you can significantly reduce heat gain through windows. Think of them as your home’s sunglasses!
- Double-Glazing Windows: If you’re considering window upgrades, double-glazing is the way to go. Not only do they help in noise reduction, but they’re also champions at helping reduce heat gain through windows.
- Embrace the AC: While it’s not traditionally British to rely on air conditioning, sometimes, it’s just necessary. Modern AC units are more energy-efficient and can be a lifesaver on those particularly scorching days. Just bear in mind that it will increase your energy bills and impact the environment.
The BEST Method for Reducing Heat Gain: Solar Control Window Film
While methods like closing blinds, sealing gaps, and using air conditioning can certainly help reduce heat gain through windows, there’s a more efficient, long-term solution that stands out from the rest: Solar Control Window Film. Why constantly adjust blinds or bear the noise of an AC when you can opt for a one-time installation that offers a multitude of benefits?
Why Choose Solar Control Window Film?
Effective Heat Reduction
Solar control window films are designed to block a significant portion of the sun’s heat, ensuring your rooms remain comfortable even during the hottest days. And yes, this includes your conservatory! A UK study found that solar window films significantly reduce buildings’ CO2 emissions by enhancing energy efficiency, making them a top choice for both comfort and sustainability.
These films not only reduce heat but also block up to 99% of harmful UV rays. This means your furnishings, flooring, and artwork are protected from fading.
Say goodbye to the annoying glare on your screens. With solar control window films, you can enjoy watching TV or working on your computer without any disturbances.
By maintaining a cooler interior, you reduce the need for air conditioning (and heating in the winter!), leading to significant energy savings and reduced electricity bills.
While allowing natural light in, these films also provide an added layer of privacy, ensuring you can go about your day without prying eyes.
Available in a range of shades and finishes, you can choose a film that complements your home or office décor.
Once installed, these films require minimal maintenance. A simple wipe-down is all it takes to keep them looking pristine.
While many methods help combat heat gain, solar control window film stands out as the top choice. That´s if you’re looking for an efficient, cost-effective, and durable solution to beat the heat!
Experience cooler interiors, reduced energy bills, and enhanced comfort with this effective product, and enjoy a cooler, smarter, and more sustainable home, even under the brightest sun.
We at Applied Products offer one of the widest ranges of high-performance window films in the UK…
If you need any help or advice on what types of window films are best for your house, company or office, or if you want us to perform a glass safety risk assessment, don’t hesitate to get in touch; we’d love to help! Applied Products has a large range of specialist window films, so we can help you transform your room into a comfortable and productive space.
Applied Products – [email protected] / 01792 895730